This curry is so easy, you won’t believe how much flavour it has! The simple sauce is made with some basic spices, canned tomatoes and light coconut milk. You can easily mix up the rest of the ingredients depending on what you need to use up. You can even leave out the chicken and add some extra veggies for a quick and easy vegetarian meal. You won’t need to buy packet sauces any more once you’ve tried this recipe!
Chicken and Chickpea Curry
1½ cups brown rice
2 tspns Extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 gloves garlic, crushed
250g boneless, skinless chicken thighs (2 medium thighs)
1 tspn grated ginger
1 tbspn ground coriander
2 tspns ground cumin
2 tspns turmeric
2 tspns dried chilli flakes (optional)
2 cups diced pumpkin
2 cups cauliflower florets, (fresh or frozen)
400g can chickpeas, drained
400g can diced tomatoes
400ml can light coconut milk
2 cups frozen green beans, defrosted
1. Cook the rice according to packet directions and set aside to keep warm.
2. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Heat the oil and sauté the onion, garlic and chicken for 3 minutes.
4. Add the spices to the pan and stir until fragrant, around 2 minutes.
5. Add the pumpkin, cauliflower, chickpeas and canned tomatoes and coconut milk and cover with a lid.
6. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasional, until the vegetables are soft.
7. Steam or microwave the frozen beans for 2 minutes or until hot.
8. Serve the curry with a side of rice and green beans.
Can be stored in a container, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in a saucepan over low heat until piping hot to serve.
This recipe is one of my $10 Family Meals as seen on Today Tonight. This curry costs $9.66 to feed 4 people.
Sarah Moore is a mum, and university qualified Registered Nutritionist with a decade of experience working with families to improve their health and well-being. Sarah has a simplistic and practical approach to family nutrition and can help the overwhelm of eating and living well with private consultations, email Q&A and her school lunchbox ebook. You can also find her on Facebook and Instagram for more healthy tips and tricks.